[R-sig-Geo] Analyzing spatial segregation; power to detect

Wall, Wade A ERDC-RDE-CERL-IL Wade.A.Wall at usace.army.mil
Fri May 11 18:12:06 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I asked a question regarding analyzing the spatial distribution of male and female individuals of a plant species. This is not a specifically R-related question, but I am relatively new to spatial statistics and think that people with more experience could answer this question.

The data that I have comes from multiple populations with from 1-41 individuals. I used Ripley's K to analyze the populations > 20 individuals separately, because I was concerned about interpopulation effects. However, now my concern is the reduced power to detect a pattern due to low sample size. Is there any way to perform a power analysis for Ripley's K? I have been looking for a method, but have been unable to find anything.

What are the alternatives to subsetting the dataset by population? Is it possible to leverage the data from the full data set, or does cause problems?

Thanks for any information,

Wade