[R-sig-Geo] [R-sig-eco] Question about Mantel Test

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:00:00 CEST 2012

Hi,

Please don't cross-post.

A Mantel test is most suited to problems that must be expressed in
terms of distances, as Legendre states, although there is a
mathematical relationship between correlation between distances and
correlation between raw data.

If your main concern is statistical testing, you can use a permutation
test for significance of correlations without converting them to
distances first, thus avoiding the parametric assumptions.

If you want to use a Mantel approach to investigate *linear* spatial
autocorrelation, then "distance apart" is relevant, and this does
become a distance problem. You could then obtain the correlation
between difference in variable X and difference in variable Y given
their distance apart.

Are you sure there's significant spatial autocorrelation? Have you
tested for it in your data? If there is, is it meaningful in the
context of your question?

There are many approaches to dealing with spatial autocorrelation, and
you might be best served to do some reading on your own and to consult
a statistician, if you have access to one who is familiar with
ecological data.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee