[R-sig-Geo] analyzing spatial segregation of sexes

Wall, Wade A ERDC-RDE-CERL-IL Wade.A.Wall at usace.army.mil
Wed May 9 18:51:07 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I have a data set that consists of x,y coordinates for individual plants, along with sex of the individual.

Example

Ind	sex	x	y
1	F	10	5
2	M	9	4
. . .
200 	M	20	4

for 20 populations of the species. I would like to know if males and females are randomly dispersed, or tend to segregate.

I would like to use Philip Dixon's method (1994), and there is an implementation in the R package "spatialsegregation" (dixon(X, prepR=0)). However,
I am not very familiar with spatial analyses in R and am not sure how to structure the input object X. The function description says "Bivariate i.e. 2-type point pattern (see package 'spatstat')"

Does anyone know how to structure the data that I have (example above) so that I can use dixon()? Thanks for any help.

Wade A. Wall