[R-sig-Geo] Google Summer of Code

Virgilio Gómez-Rubio virgilio.gomez at uclm.es
Mon Mar 19 16:31:13 CET 2012

Once again, R has been accepted as an organization for the Google Summer of Code (2012).
We invite students interested in this program to learn more about it. A good starting
point is http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2012. The Google
GSOC home page is http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012

Workers who could mentor projects are also needed. We aim to have at least two mentors per
student project, based on experiences reported in an article (starting page 64) in the
recent issue of the R-Journal
http://journal.r-project.org/archive/2011-2/RJournal_2011-2.pdf

Those interested in either student or mentor participation should join our Google list
gsoc-r at googlegroups.com as this is how we are communicating. Please provide a 1 sentence
intro to yourself as we have had attempts by spammers to join the group.

Note that GSOC is about CODING. It is not intended to fund research, but many activities
with R require code to advance our work, so the program can be very helpful to improving R.

For information, the admins this year are Toby Dylan Hocking and John Nash, with backups
Brian Peterson and Virgilio Gomez.

Happy coding,

John Nash