[R-sig-Geo] environmental heterogeneity

Andy Hartley andrew.hartley at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Mar 16 12:14:32 CET 2012

Dear Pascal,

I did something similar using Mahalanobis Distance in order to assess
similarity of habitat within protected areas to that of the surrounding
area, in Africa. We used elevation, aridity, NDVI, NDWI, etc, so it
appears to match with your needs. The advantage of using mahalanobis
distance (as opposed to euclidean distance) is that it accounts for
covariance between your input variables. You can read more in our report
-
http://bioval.jrc.ec.europa.eu/APAAT/AssessmentOfAfricanProtectedAreas_E
UR22780.pdf or on the webpage - http://bioval.jrc.ec.europa.eu/APAAT/
(click a protected area on the map, and scroll down to the habitat
irreplaceability indicator)

Kind regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Hartley Climate Impacts Scientist
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom

Join us in celebrating 150 years of forecasting for the nation and enter
our photo competition
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/our-history
<blocked::http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/our-history>