[R-sig-Geo] Extracting minimum convex polygons of species distributions

Anthony Fischbach afischbach at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 15 16:40:58 CET 2012

Generalizing animal distributions adjacent to habitat boundaries is
problematic.
You may wish to consider functions available in adehabitatHR for the biased
random bridge and classic kernel utilization distribution algorithms that
offer an elegant solution to this problem.  I have found these appealing,
yet not applicable to my study species due to coastline compexities (islands
that are small relative to the kernel smoothing factor and coastal
segmements that form angles too accute for the functions to handle).  I
resorted to excluding non-habitat from the utilization distribution.  Here
is the post thread
http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/Walruses-and-adehabitatHR-class-estUDm-exclusion-of-non-habitat-pixels-and-summary-over-all-animals-tp6497315p6497315.html
...adehabitatHR: class estUDm exclusion of non-habitat pixels...  whereby
r-sig-geo contributors provided a solution for this exclusion.

HTH -

-----
Tony Fischbach, Wildlife Biologist
Walrus Research Program