[R-sig-Geo] Which points fall in which polygons?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 09:56:00 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Alexander Shenkin <ashenkin at ufl.edu> wrote:
> Hello folks,

> I've read the polygons in with rgdal, but I'm not sure where to go from
> there.  I'm not sure which functions from which packages apply to rgdal
> objects, etc.  I've looked at the rgdal manual, but I don't understand
> how to manipulate the objects once i have them in R (e.g. how to perform
> intersections and the like).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 You might also want to get the rgeos package which does all those
wonderful classic GIS operations like buffering and intersection.
Point-in-polygon overlay is done by over(), but rgeos also has an
implementation and far more.

 Read the R Spatial Task View for more. Shameless link to my funky
TaskView index page:
http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/R/TaskViews/

Barry