[R-sig-Geo] Displaying temporal variation of raster data

Thiago Veloso thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Thu Mar 15 03:34:08 CET 2012

 Dear R colleagues,

 I have a netcdf file containing ten time slices, where each slice corresponds to yearly deforestation rates over the Amazon forest. Values range from 0 (no deforest) to 1 (maximum deforest). Please take a look in a sample of the data: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/deforestamazon.png/

 My objective is to show the temporal variation of this data. How can I produce categorical histograms for each one of the ten years? What I have in mind is something like the lower panel of this figure: http://www.crwr.utexas.edu/gis/gishydro05/Time/DHI_Temporal_Analyst/TemporalAnalystForArcGIS.htm, but plotting bars relative to three or four classes of deforesting rates instead of lines.

 Is it possible to produce such a figure using any SIG-related R package?

 Many thanks in advance,
 Thiago.