[R-sig-Geo] spplot with legend only, and legend inside the plotting area

Jon Olav Skoien jon.skoien at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Mar 7 11:57:01 CET 2012

Hi Mauricio,

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but one possibility is to extract
the colors and text of the legend from the spplot-object and plot it
with legend():
p1 = spplot(xyz, cex=10, alpha=0.7)
str(p1)
# This has auto.key = "bottom" by default.
cols = p1$legend$bottom$args$key$points$col
txt = p1$legend$bottom$args$key$text[[1]]
plot.new()
legend(0.3,0.7, legend = txt, fill = cols, border = cols, bty = "n")

legend() has lots of parameters that can help you adjusting the plot if
you need to modify the layout.

Cheers,
Jon

--
Jon Olav Skøien
Joint Research Centre - European Commission

Via Fermi 2749, TP 440,  I-21027 Ispra (VA), ITALY

jon.skoien at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Tel:  +39 0332 789206

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this email are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent official views of the European Commission.