[R-sig-Geo] External "Envelope" of a set of points in space - not convex hull

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:04:30 CEST 2012

Can you share what you've tried? A triangulation is really at odds
with the representation available with "polygons" in their usual GIS
form, but there are ways to do it. The basic options (to me) are
either a set of the triangles as individual polygons, or even a set of
shapes in a "multipolygon", or to dissolve them to get the hull/s from
the alphahull code. Any feeling for which option is more important?
Got an example of running the alphahull to help someone start, and why
you want a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame? (For plot, export, both, or
other?).