[R-sig-Geo] GMM-2SLS estimation in spdep

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 26 10:14:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Pelin Akçagün wrote:

> Dr. Bivand,
>

> Sorry for posting twice, there seemed to be a technical problem in my
> e-mail account because of the character set, that is why the question was
> repeated.
>

> I have gone over the help pages, the sphet package and Dr. Piras’ recent
> article, which were really helpful. This classification between
> gstsls-stsls-GMerrorsar functions appeared in my mind as a result of this
> reading material.
>
> However, I was in a doubt that I may be missing something. For instance in
> the following code
>

> stslslag.absfit <- stsls(absform, data=LAEA, listw=lwW)
>
> GMerr.absfit <- GMerrorsar(absform, data=LAEA, listw=lwW,
> returnHcov=TRUE)
>
> gstsls.absfit <- gstsls(absform, data=LAEA, listw=lwW)
>

> This already gives me the STSLS, GM SAR and GM SARAR estimators. I wanted
> to be sure that those three estimators rely on the same methodology so that
> they can be comparable.
>
> To be more specific, does the GM estimation for this spatial cross
> sectional model rests upon a numerical Hessian approximation based on OLS
> residuals? And in the presence of endogeneity caused by the spatial lag
> estimator (as in SARAR model), does this GM procedure rely on 2SLS
> estimates (which makes comparison between spatial 2SLS and spatial GMM
> harder, as one is conditional on the other)?

Please refer to the code, either in your console, from the source package,
or online at R-Forge:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/R/kpgm_new.R?view=markup&root=spdep

for GMerrorsar and gstsls, and:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/R/s2sls.R?view=markup&root=spdep

for stsls. You will see quite a lot of choices, often caused by the
difficulty of getting the GM argmin to converge numerically. If you read
gstsls at the foot of the first file, you see that it calls tsls from the
second file in the first stage, then copies the argmin section from
GMerrorsar. Neither GMerrorsar not gstsls iterate their solutions. Note
that GMerrorsar can also use the Arnold-Wied moments.

> So if these models are not directly comparable in terms of the methodology,
> is there any other way to make them? I may be confused at some point. I
> appreciate any kind of help.

They are comparable in implementation terms, using to some extent the same
underlying functions. Please also compare the code with that of the
model-fitting functions in sphet, where again there is a good deal in
common. I've included Gianfranco Piras as CC, because his views will be
relevant for you.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no