[R-sig-Geo] Get map of non-NA cells of a stack

Rafael Wüest rafael.wueest at wsl.ch
Mon Jun 25 14:42:18 CEST 2012

Hi Johannes,

I don't know of any special function, but you can easily obtain this by combining sum() and is.na() . See the example below:

r <- raster(ncols=36, nrows=18)
r[] <- 1:ncell(r)
r1<-r;r1[sample(1:ncell(r1),20)]<-NA
r2<-r;r2[sample(1:ncell(r2),20)]<-NA
r3<-r;r3[sample(1:ncell(r3),20)]<-NA
s<-stack(r1,r2,r3)

s<-addLayer(s,!is.na(sum(s)))

plot(s)

This may not be the most efficient way to come up with what you want, as summing a big stack may take quite some time, but for small rasters, stacks it certainly works...

HTH, Rafi