[R-sig-Geo] writeOGR() to shapefile and dates/times classes

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jun 24 14:46:28 CEST 2012

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> writeOGR() issues an error if the Spatial Points/Polygon Dataframe
> has any variables of classes dates or times. While I understand that
> this is rather a problem of using a bad format (shapefile) that does not accept
> these kind of variables, I suggest
> the developer could consider that the necessary conversion to character
> were done automatically by writeOGR() and just issue a warning message
> instead of an error.

Please provide a reproducible example, and sessionInfo() output.

The function already converts the standard date and time classes POSIXct,
POSIXlt, Date and POSIXt to character. If the user chooses a non-base
date-time representation, arguably the user should then convert to a base
class first, otherwise rgdal would depend on zoo, xts, lubridate or
whatever.

Roger