[R-sig-Geo] External "Envelope" of a set of points in space - not convex hull

PCB pedrocontebarros at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 08:56:20 CEST 2012

Dear All,

I have a set of observations on an area, and I would like to define the
"investigated area" as the smallest polygon (preferably smoothed with e.g.
splines fit) that encloses all the points. This is similar to the convex
hull problem, except that my data have "gulfs", i.e. areas that are not
sampled (and should not be), between two "fingers" of areas investigated. I
am sure I have seen something about solving this lately, but after a couple
days searching could not find it (I am sure I am using the wrong
keywords...).

Any help would be appreciated