[R-sig-Geo] Distances in shortestPath function (package spatgraphs)

Tuomas Rajala tuomas.rajala at iki.fi
Mon Jun 18 14:12:47 CEST 2012

Dear Julian,

the algorithm finds the shortest paths in a weighted graph with each
edge weight being the Euclidian distance between corresponding node
locations. Weights are constant 1 if 'pp', and hence the node
locations, are not provided. For reference, see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra's_algorithm

So, if
1. you give pp, the edges are weighted with Euclidian distances, and
the result is the geographical minimum distance needed to travel along
the graph from i to j,

2. you don't give pp, in which case each edge has weight 1, and the
result is the shortest path in term of edges needed to hop to get from
i to j.

To answer your question: Shortest path in terms of distance is given
by 1., and in term of nodes given by 2.

Sorry for the mix-up in terms: General graph term for the cost of
traveling each edge is 'weight'; I use 'length' in the docs, as it
makes sense in spatial context.

Hope this helps,
Tuomas R