[R-sig-Geo] Detect temporal correlation between two spatial fields

Thiago Veloso thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jun 14 19:46:53 CEST 2012

  Dear SIG colleagues,

  I am working with changes in land use over South America. I have raster data about fire occurence (there is a MODIS product about it) from 2000-2010. Also, I have raster data describing transitions between land use (forest to pasture, forest to croplands etc) for the same period.

  Fire occurence is expressed in terms of fraction of the pixel that is burned, and land-use change is expressed in terms of fraction of the cell that transitioned from one class to another (e.g. primary to pasture).

  In practice, I KNOW that fire occurence is (maybe strongly) correlated to changes in land use over time, but I need to find a method to SHOW this.

  Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

  Best wishes,
  Thiago.