[R-sig-Geo] testing hypotesis about species distribution - Newbie

PCB pedrocontebarros at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:54:25 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I have a data set consisting of estimates of fish density (Kg/m2) at
intervals of about 30 km apart. I also have measurements of bottom depth at
the same locations.
I want to test the hypothesis that fish density depends on depth, being
highest at the optimal depth for the species and declining at shallower and
deeper depths.

Under a non-geographical approach, I would fit a model to the data on fish
density including depth, and compare the fit to one that does not include
depth in it (constant mean). However, I cannot find out how to do this
"correctly" with geographically-dependent data.
I found several references on how to perform interpolation on a grid based
on e.g. Universal Krigging with an external model, but I cannot see how to
do this particular task.