[R-sig-Geo] rgdal Windows change Path to GDAL shared files / not all the Drivers

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 1 12:59:46 CEST 2012

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, gilles2604 wrote:

> Tank you, I know understand the problem even if I don't understand why the
> static gdal 1.9 doesn't support Postgisraster and Postgres driver (GDAL
> 1.9.0 normally does).

What GDAL supports is dependent on its external links to other software.
GDAL can be built with a small set of external dependencies, or a larger
set. The drivers used for the CRAN Extras OSX rgdal binary, and the CRAN
Windows rgdal binary are a small subset of all possible drivers, and do
not include those you are interested in. So GDAL 1.9 may be build with or
without drivers, there is nothing like "normal support".

> I tried to install the package from source, but it doesn't work...:

This is only going to work if you have taken many steps requiring care and
insight first, and then only as R CMD INSTALL rgdal, after having
downloaded the source package and edited files within it as shown in the
README I refered to. If you do not understand the README, and do not have
local help to show you how for example to use OSGeo4W (I'm not sure that
OSGeo4W provides GDAL with PostGIS) and Microsoft compilers and linkers,
in addition to RTools, you should either give up, or ask whether any other
list member has built a GDAL/rgdal combination against the same
PostGIS/PostgreSQL versions that you are using.

Roger