[R-sig-Geo] rgdal Windows change Path to GDAL shared files / not all the Drivers

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 1 11:44:43 CEST 2012

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, gilles2604 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I already used rgdal successfully on Mac and on Linux/Ubuntu...
>
> Now I try to make it work on Windows 7 (64 bit).
>
> I have installed GDAL 1.9.1 on my system, but when I do : library(rgdal), I
> get this:
>
> /Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
> Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.9.0, released 2011/12/29
> Path to GDAL shared files: C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.0/library/rgdal/gdal
> Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009, [PJ_VERSION: 470]
> Path to PROJ.4 shared files: C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.0/library/rgdal/proj/
>
> I know that for Mac and Linux, rgdal uses the drivers of the gdal-version
> installed on the system...

No, this always depends on which rgdal package (binary from where, or
source) is installed. On Linux, the package must be installed from source,
so the external dependencies have to be met on the system. On OSX, if
rgdal is installed from source against for example Kyngchaos frameworks,
or as a binary package from Kyngchaos, you would be correct. But if it is
installed as a binary from CRAN Extras, GDAL is linked static. The same
applies to the CRAN Windows rgdal binary - GDAL is linked static.

> On Windows it seems to be different, I already change my GDAL_DATA and
> GDAL_DATA variables, it didn't helped...

To use a local GDAL on Windows, you would need to install from source,
possibly following one of the routes described in:

file.show(system.file("README.windows", package="rgdal"))

but these notes are very context-specific, and in some cases dated.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger