[R-sig-Geo] Google Mercator EPSG:900913, in which init file to add it?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 17:37:46 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Mathieu Rajerison
<mathieu.rajerison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Google Mercator (EPSG:900913) for one purpose but it doesn't seem
> recognized by rgdal..
>
> Where to add it please?

 900913 was a 'cute' number used unofficially because it looks like
'google'. Eventually after a couple of false starts it has got an
official EPSG code which is nowhere near 900913. Some discussion here:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/253/what-is-the-current-web-mercator-projection-code

So you should use epsg:3857 from now on. I guess 900913 has been
removed from the epsg database that rgdal uses. Not sure how you add
it back, but if you reassign the proj4code of anything with 900913 to
3857 then they should all work the same. Note I'm saying 3857 several
times in the email so I remember that it's now 3857...

Barry