[R-sig-Geo] Data grid in kriging?

Jon Olav Skoien jon.skoien at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Thu Jul 12 10:25:03 CEST 2012

You may be able to create a SpatialGridDataFrame from
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame, but it depends on your polygon file. Are the
polygons referring to the boundaries of grid cells? If sp0 is the
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame you will probably get what you want with
(untested):

sp1 = SpatialPointsDataFrame(coordinates(sp0), data = sp0 at data)
gridded(sp1) = TRUE
fullgrid(sp1) = TRUE

But I am not sure if this is what you should do in your case. I do not
see any reference to a shape file in demo(krige), anyway, R does not
care about how your data are stored outside R, only what type of spatial
data it is (grid, points, polygons, lines), and whether the format can
actually be read into R. meuse.grid is a grid, but you can also predict
to points not being on a grid, or to polygons. Your observations can be
points or a grid. The .grid extension of meuse.grid is just for
convenience to show what kind of data you are working with, the name
could also be meusePred or something completely else

If this does not help you, then try to describe your problem in more
detail, what sort of data you have and what you would like to do with them.

Best wishes,
Jon