[R-sig-Geo] Function to repair incorrect ring ordering?

Thiago Veloso thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jul 5 22:37:51 CEST 2012

  Dear all,

  I have made a decision to replace ArcGIS by open-source solutions such as qgis, spatial packages etc.  Gradually, I need to find alternative packages/functions that do the same thing that ArcGIS tools do.

  The first problem: some of my shapefiles are reported by ArcGIS to have some "incorrect ring ordering" problems. In ArcGIS it is easy to fix that by using a tool called "repair geometry". According to the help, this tool "inspects each feature in a feature class for geometry problems. Upon discovery of a geometry problem, a relevant fix will be applied, and a one line description will be printed identifying the feature as well as the problem encountered."

  Is a similar tool available in any R package?

  Many thanks in advance,
  Thiago.