[R-sig-Geo] Suggestion to package raster: replace ncdf by ncdf4

Thiago Veloso thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jul 5 03:30:04 CEST 2012

  Dear all (especially Robert),

  I have been reading the documentation of package "ncdf" and I found out that it is now deprecated. David Pierce released "ncdf4", which contains essentially the same features of old ncdf, but supporting netCDF version 4.

  In order to keep up-to-date with the current netcdf specifications, "ncdf" depedency could be replaced by "ncdf4" when dealing with netcdf files. This would demand some extra effort (as the functions have new names), but I think the benefits may worth it.

  Just a suggestion, Robert. Nothing that jeopardises "raster" glamour!

  Best wishes,
  Thiago.