[R-sig-Geo] Detect islands (of more than 1 areas or polygons) into a cartography

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 2 09:33:23 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Marc Marí Dell'Olmo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Anyone knows a function to detect if there are islands into a
> cartography. I refer to islands with more than one area (or polygons).
> In other words, I would like to detect how many connected components I
> have in the graph.
>
> On the other hand, I would like to know the “id” of the areas (or
> polygons) for each island.

This wasn't easy to grasp. By graph, do you mean the neighbour graph of
the Polygons objects in a SpatialPolygons object? Could you use the North
Carolina counties data set included in maptools to give an example of your
question? You'll find additional information in spdep, see the poly2nb()
and n.comp.nb() functions.

Roger