[R-sig-Geo] problem with rgdal library

Paul.Rustomji at csiro.au Paul.Rustomji at csiro.au
Tue Feb 28 00:22:08 CET 2012

Hello List,
I am having trouble getting rgdal to load, and was hoping you could assist.  When I execute the following library() command:

>library("rgdal", character.only=TRUE)

I get a windows pop up message saying:

Rgui.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because gdal18.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

With and OK button to click.  If you press OK lots of times it eventually goes away.

Then back at the R console it eventually reads:
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.8.1, released 2011/07/09
Path to GDAL shared files: C:/Program Files/R/R-2.14.1/library/rgdal/gdal
Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009, [PJ_VERSION: 470]
Path to PROJ.4 shared files: C:/Program Files/R/R-2.14.1/library/rgdal/proj

But the problem is I am trying to run this within rscript.exe batch file so popup things are problematic.

I had a look around within the rgdal package for the required file but couldn't find it.

I have upgraded to R 2.14.1 and done an update packages, so all packages and R should be current versions.

Any ideas?
Paul

Paul Rustomji
CSIRO Land and Water (Lucas Heights, NSW)
Locked Bag 2007
Kirrawee NSW 2232
P: 02 9710 6915
M: 0406 375 739