[R-sig-Geo] installing rgdal on linux without root access

gregor.hochschild at gmx.de gregor.hochschild at gmx.de
Mon Feb 27 12:32:43 CET 2012

Hi, I am trying to install rgdal on a server without root access. I managed to compile proj.4 and gdal from source placing them in ~/libs using DESTDIR in make install. I am unable, however, to install rgdal using this command:

R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='
--with-gdal-config=~/libs/gdal/usr/local/bin/gdal-config
--with-proj-include=~/libs/proj4/usr/local/include
--with-proj-lib=~/libs/proj4/usr/local/lib'
rgdal_0.7-8.tar.gz -l ~/R-libs

(Note: I am actually using the hard coded location and not ~, added the spaces for readability, and tried with and without -l ~/R-libs)

I am getting a long list of errors (see part of the output below). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

checking for proj_api.h... yes
checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... yes
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdal
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
./configure: line 3366: ./proj_conf_test: No such file or directory
PROJ.4 Version 4.7 or earlier
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdal
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
./configure: line 3409: ./proj_conf_test: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdal
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
OGR_write.cpp:26: error: ‘OGRSFDriver’ was not declared in this scope
... (long list of these scope errors)...