[R-sig-Geo] rgeos, gpclib and polygon plotting

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 24 10:27:36 CET 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Elena wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I recently switched to Ubuntu and have also just started to explore R as
> GIS.I am loading some packages in R to plot a shapefile (rgdal,
> shapefiles, maptools), and I have stumbled upon rgeos and gpclib. I get
> the message that I need geos 3.2.2 or newer, with the tip about
> gpclibPermit(). It turns out I do not have a license for gpclib.  My
> first question is if there is a way around this, or do I have to open R
> from Windows to get newer versions of geos?

At least GEOS 3.2.2 binaries are available as ubuntugis-unstable. In fact,
building from source is simple, just download the source, and follow
standard procedures. Treat this as an opportunity to extend your skills,
if you've never consciously installed software from source before! Once
GEOS is installed, install rgeos from source.

> The second question: I got four xyp files compiling information from
> many bln polygons originally made in Surfer, but only one of these xyp
> files has four variables (I assume the fourth is the sequence number).
> What kind of object should these xyp files be, and what function should
> I use to plot them?

Please ask different questions in separate threads.

Roger