[R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Fri Feb 17 14:59:34 CET 2012

Hello Edzer,

We use ARCGIS applications in much of our spatial temporal modeling work,
and rely upon NetCDF for data storage. Our models rely on hydrologic
spatial temporal data and many of the data sets we use exceed 30 years of
annual records. Sometimes we use data with higher temporal resolution.
ARCGIS netCDF does not provide the essential tools we need to conduct our
simulations. For example, extracting annual data layers from the netCDF
file fails regularly and we have to reduce the temporal domain to shorter
periods of record to get the system to work.

I have tried to access ArcGIS geodatabase files directly from R but have
not successfully accomplished what I needed.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             Edzer Pebesma
             <edzer.pebesma at un
             i-muenster.de>                                             To
             Sent by:                  r-sig-geo at r-project.org
             r-sig-geo-bounces                                          cc
             @r-project.org            Steve Kopp <skopp at esri.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS
             02/17/2012 02:15
             AM

Hi,

I might succeed meeting with some ESRI / ArcGIS folks at AAG next week;
I'm in touch with them in particular about linking R to ArcGIS.

I would like to find out if any of you has been successful (or
unsuccessful) in reading or writing ArcGIS geodatabase files directly
from R, by using the rgdal driver, or by some other means.

Another issue is reading/writing spatio-temporal features  (netcdf does
spatio-temporal grids/arrays pretty well it seems); rumours go that
ArcGIS might, in the near future, support reading/writing SpatiaLite.

With best regards,
--
Edzer Pebesma
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      e.pebesma at wwu.de