[R-sig-Geo] "extract" in the raster package

dman dkennedy at airsci.com
Tue Feb 14 18:22:31 CET 2012

I have done some searching, and don't believe this to be a cross-post, my
apologies if this is the case.

I am dealing with spatial points with the "extract" function within raster.
The points can be served up as long/lat or projected into their UTM
appropriate. The raster I have underneath for the extraction is in long/lat
and spans most of N. America. I'm extracting varying buffers around each
point, and in the documentation, it appears that I can send long/lat points
and use meter measures for my buffers, which is great. I am concerned with
the error of measure that one sees South to North using long/lat WGS84. Has
anyone dealt with/had this thought before? Is this accounted for in the
function?

Thank you for your time and efforts

David Kennedy