[R-sig-Geo] spgrass6, initGRASS() on MacOSX

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Tue Feb 14 10:42:43 CET 2012

Hello,

I want to use spgrass6 in an R session outside GRASS on Mac OSX. Therefore I want to use initGRASS to set some needed environmental variables etc.
initGRASS() needs gisBase as one parameter which is the direcotry path to the GRASS binaries. What is the standard path on Mac OS X? My GRASS.app is in /
/Applications/GRASS-6.5.app...

so I tried following two approaches so far without success:

> initGRASS("/Applications/GRASS-6.5", home=tempdir())
Fehler in initGRASS("/Applications/GRASS-6.5", home = tempdir()) :
  /Applications/GRASS-6.5 not found
> initGRASS("/Applications/GRASS-6.5.app", home=tempdir())
Fehler in system(paste("g.version", get("addEXE", envir = .GRASS_CACHE),  :
  Fehler bei der Ausf"uhrung des Kommandos

I don't know what is causing the problem in the second approach?
Does anyone know how to use initGRASS on Mac OS X in an R session outside GRASS correctly?

Best regards,
Johannes