[R-sig-Geo] Comprehensive R package for Spatial Stats

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 11 12:09:12 CET 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Tom Gottfried wrote:

> have a look on CRAN. At the bottom of the "Task Views" page is a description
> how to install complete views. Doing that with task view "Spatial" might
> yield what you are looking for.

Exactly. If you install ctv first:

install.packages("ctv")
library(ctv)

you use:

install.views("Spatial", coreOnly=TRUE)

or:

download.views("Spatial", coreOnly=TRUE, destdir="spatial_tv")

or similar. These will also examine package dependencies on the download
system, so for portability - to include the full dependency tree, run on a
fresh installation of R. If coreOnly=FALSE, you pull in everything in the
task view and all their dependencies, which can be quite a lot.

If there are suggestions for moving packages into/out of core, I'd be
interested to hear.

Of course, OSX users should setRepositories(ind=1:2) before
install.views() to pick up rgdal and rgeos from CRAN extras.

Unix/Linux users will need to provide the external dependencies to
packages failing to install with unsatisfied dependencies.

Roger