[R-sig-Geo] Forecasting of sky images

Ross Bowden ross.bowden at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 8 05:37:41 CET 2012

Hello everyone. I'm designing a system to forecast the availability of
solar radiation for photovoltaic power stations. The forecasting system
will use regularly-taken images of the sky, each of which is a full grid
of binary values (each element indicates cloudy or clear-sky conditions
for roughly a 40m x 40m area). These (PNG) images are captured every
minute using a "sky camera". I'm looking to use R to predict the images
(i.e. the movement of clouds) in an automated fashion for a short time
period ahead (up to 30 minutes) by utilising trends in the sequence of
images. Does anyone know of a way to use R to undertake the
extrapolation of such images please?

There are a number of predictive approaches in the meteorological
literature (where such methods are included under the term "nowcasting")
but it's not clear how the algorithms could be used in R without a
substantial amount of programming. There is also the issue of a lack of
statistical rigour in the methods. So I'm looking for modelling tools
(from spatial statistics?) which will allow the statistical forecasting
of images and which have been implemented in R. I've searched through
the available spatial statistics packages such as "spacetime" and "geoR"
but nothing immediately presents as suitable (although I've considered
using localised spatial logistic regression employing the
temporally-lagged values from surrounding mosaic elements as predictors).

Many thanks for any suggestions

Ross Bowden
PhD Candidate, Murdoch University, Western Australia.