[R-sig-Geo] gdal color tables

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Dec 23 21:23:46 CET 2012

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Roger,
>
> The problem is not getting a color table as colmat in your
> example, but writing colmat in gdal format to create pseudocolor raster
> files, best using either writeRaster() or writeGDAL() (a bit like you
> would display a raster layer
> in R using plot() and the col argument).
> The way I was thinking on was writing
> the greylevel raster with the current writeRaster() and then writing
> an R function to create a
> vrt file that, from one single layer, is essentially the color palette
> in gdal format
> (see http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQRaster#Howtocreateormodifyanimagecolortable).
> Then the vrt file can be translated to any other format using gdal_translate.
> But then I thought that a more direct function could already exist in
> R, thus I asked.

There is no support in raster or sp objects for symbology, and unless
someone extends the classes to accommodate symbology on a dynamic
by-attribute basis, it isn't going to happen.

Possibly writeGDAL could set a colortable on the output Byte raster, in
the way that I did show. First you would need to generate an RGB
raster/grid object, then quantize it, and output the result. That was the
point of the code I showed. If you need the facility, you can write it at
the R level using the lower-level GDAL interface code from an RGB object.
I guess that is something you could contribute using a vector of R
colours, col2rbg, and the breaks between colours to partition a numeric
raster (use findIntervals). Maybe you can re-use code in classInt?

Roger