[R-sig-Geo] [raster] How to loop extract function?

dcd dennis.duro at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:18:32 CET 2012

As asked  here
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13897455/pass-variable-name-to-a-function-and-output-inside-of-loop-in-r>
on stackoverflow:

for(j in 1:3) {
    for(k in 1:17){
       extract_[j]km <- extract(RasterStack, SpatialPolygonsDataFrame_[j]km,
layer=[k], nl=1, df=TRUE)
    }
}

While the Rasterstack remains constant, the SpatialPolygon and layer within
the RasterStack will iterate. From the posts I've read I'm now getting the
hint that loops and R aren't the best combination, but what approach would
achieve something similar to  the above pseudo-loop code? I've looked at
get, paste, and lapply, but I can't get them to work with extract. Any help
would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!