[R-sig-Geo] Distance between two points

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 7 15:56:57 CET 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Sarah Goslee wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I've copied this back to the list, as is encouraged.
>
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM, O'Hanlon, Simon J
> <simon.ohanlon at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Sarah, thank you.
>>
>> My data points are located in West Africa, so I think a good projection
>> would be Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area.
>>
>> This does raise one more question for me. I also have some raster data
>> that I wish to use as covariates which is also in geographic
>> coordinates. If I try to simply reproject a raster, I think it would
>> screw up the regular grid. Does it make sense if I convert the lat-long
>> raster to a SpatialPointsDataFrame and transform this to LAEA so I
>> could then create a grid in the desired planar coordinates from scratch
>> and use over() to assign values from the reprojected spatial points
>> onto the raster?
>
> A reprojected raster is still a raster, and thus a regular grid. Or am
> I missing something?

Yes, a warped raster is a raster, but a reprojected raster will in general
be a set of irregular points. So resampling is invoved one way or the
other. Whether one queries the raster as-is with spatial points, and then
projects the output, or warps the raster doing spatial query with
projected points will depend a bit on the support(s) of the data sets.
Maybe see: ?projectRaster in raster for warping.

Roger