[R-sig-Geo] Distance between two points

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:18:00 CET 2012

Precisely. You should use great-circle distances with lat-lon
coordinates, rather than Euclidean distance, because the actual length
varies with position on the globe.

Converting to UTM or something similar is one solution if your points
are not too far apart.

There are many other R solutions: searching for "great circle
distance" at rseek.org will get you quite a list.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee