[R-sig-Geo] Compensating smoothing effect by ordinary kriging

Swagath swagathnavin82 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:33:30 CET 2012

Dear all,

I'm a relatively new with kriging methods using gstat. I am interested
in performing an ordinary kriging to interpolate heavy metal
concentrations across Europe  with 1000 data points.  However, I
realized that when i performed cross-validation, OK tends to
under-estimate my higher values and over-estimate some lower values. Is
there anything i can do to correct for this smoothening effect by OK. I
was doing a web search and came across a paper 'Compensating for
Estimation Smoothing in Kriging' by Ricardo A. Olea and Vera Pawlowsky
where they discuss about this smoothening effect. Can anybody tell me
how to compensate for this smoothening effect by OK and show the
hot-spots on map.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Thanks,
Navin