[R-sig-Geo] Moran I with Edge effect correction

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Aug 25 08:39:04 CEST 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Kitty Lee wrote:

> Hi. I have some study areas that are very irregularly shaped. I wonder
> if there is a way to adjust for edge effect in computing Moran's I or
> Geary C?

The typical approach would be through the weights matrix, depending on how
W is constructed. If you row-standardise, edge observations will be
stressed, but with binary weights they are less salient. You could also
intervene directly to reduce weights on observations selected as members
of an edge set, through the glist= argument in nb2listw().

Hope this helps,

Roger