[R-sig-Geo] cannot install rgeos

Martin Ivanov martin.ivanov at ifg.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Aug 19 12:03:45 CEST 2012

Dear R users, Dear Prof. Bivand,

I am happy to inform You that I managed to solve the problem with the
rgeos and rgdal installation on the Linux cluster in one shot. Actually
the problem came from the lack of the binutils package. I had compiled
the system geos and gdal packages without usage of binutils, hence those
linker errors. After I loaded the
binutils by "module load compiler/binutils/2.19.1", compiled geos and
gdal, the installation of
rgeos and rgdal in R went flawless.

Dear Prof. Bivand, I need the Linux cluster because I am going to do
interpolation of monthly data
for 50 years. The interpolation of each single month on my desktop
computer takes about 10 minutes. So one can expect that the whole
procedure is going to take a bit more than 4 days on it, which is not
very convenient.
That is why I am going to make use of the Linux cluster. There I have
more RAM and CPU power available for my calculations and I hope to be
able to submit each decade as a separate job, so that the 5 decades run
in parallel.

Thank You very much for Your attention and responsiveness.

Best regards,

--
Dr. Martin Ivanov
Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen