[R-sig-Geo] interacting with plots

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:19:59 CEST 2012

Determining if a point is in a polygon is not as simple a task as
might be assumed (I can see that it is in there, why can't the
computer?).  So the computer has to do this check for all (or maybe
just some) 12,438 features, so it is not surprising if it is a little
slow.  The people who created and maintain the sp package would be
better able to address issues of how to speed it up (I am not one of
those who get that credit).  For this task it may be better to use a
tool outside of R, qgis has been mentioned and there may be others.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538280 at gmail.com