[R-sig-Geo] How to identify unknown Coordinate systems?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 9 17:10:14 CEST 2012

I had data in an unknown projection -- but I knew exactly where it was
supposed to be located.

What I did was make a guess at its projection, transform it to lat/long,
export to KML, then open in Google Earth as an easy way to check whether
it was where it was supposed to be. Repeat until satisfied.

However, from other information I could limit the list of possible
projections, and that obviously helped.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen