[R-sig-Geo] gwr, calculate hatmatrix when fit points are given

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Aug 9 14:15:22 CEST 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Maximilian Sproß wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> when running gwr() with given fit.points, it is not possible to
> calculate the hatmatrix. But it would be very helpful to get the fitting
> characteristics such as AIC or RMSE with the gwr output. In my case the
> fit points have to be set, as i run gwr on a cluster.

According to information from the authors, it seems that GWR3 fits without
fit points first to generate a hat matrix for the data points. This is
then used in a further step for the fit points, for which no covariates
are observed. The assumption is that #data points << #fit points, as when
making a raster. This may be done I think by doing the same, first running
gwr() on the data points only and making the hat matrix, next fitting on
the fit points and including the output of the first step in the
fittedGWRobject= argument. However, the fitted object will only help in
giving local R2 (GWR4 version), and local coefficient and prediction
standard errors, not AIC.

Roger