[R-sig-Geo] averaging home range contours

Ross Dwyer ross.dwyer at uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 27 01:30:58 CEST 2012

Hi Melanie,

I think you're going about this the wrong way. My advice is to...
1. Get the data into the correct format for a spatial points data frame (X, Y, ID)
	Where ID = replicate number
2. Run kernelUD to generate UDs for the 100 replicates
3. Use ver95 <- getverticeshr(kud, lev = 95) and ver50 <- getverticeshr(kud, lev = 50) to extract your vertices for each replicate. These can then be easily saved as a .shp.
4. Run the following to extract your areas
Area95 <- sapply(slot(ver95, "polygons"), function(i) slot(i, "area")))
Area50 <- sapply(slot(ver50, "polygons"), function(i) slot(i, "area")))
5. Then you can simply run mean(Area95) etc to extract the mean of all replicates for each contour.

Best to avoid the loop as I don't think it's really needed here.

Cheers, Ross