[R-sig-Geo] testing prediction of estimated spatial models

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Apr 18 09:46:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Roosbeh Nowrouzian wrote:

> Dear lest members:
>
> After spatial model specification, estimation, and testing specification,
> the predictive ability of estimated model should be tested. prediction is
> of interest of practitioners. At this point I have estimated a
> Spatial Auto-regressive model.

Yes and no. Most spatial regressions are not intended to be used for
prediction. In both econometrics and ecology, the analyst is most
interested in the significance or not of the model coefficients, and in
making inferences about them. Prediction is not central here.

If the spatial process is expressed by a weights matrix rather than by a
variogram, it is less obvious how to predict onto an extended graph,
rather than a continuous surface. If the prediction locations have point
support, and the weights are defined as function of distance, then you may
get close to the geostatistical predictive setting, but with a rather
primitive model of the spatial process. If the prediction locations have
other support and/or the weights are not defined in terms of distance, the
relationship is less obvious (see Melanie Wall, 2004).

> My question is after dividing the data to
> training set and testing set, how can I apply estimated
> model(Using training data set ) to the testing data set which I have the
> location and all explanatory variables. So by comparing predicted value to
> observed, the predictive ability of model can be estimated. Or is there any
> tool to define Cross Validation of estimated model (I believe writing a
> loop to exclude a point and estimate the model and then predict the value
> for that point and compare to the observed value takes so much time and is
> not possible).

I had a speculative paper in Journal of Geographical Systems (2002) about
this, but work is continuing on establishing the options for adequate
prediction in spatial regession, that paper used ad-hoc approaches that
are not necessarily sound.

The predict() method for sarlm objects in spdep does provide what you may
need, using the training+test data set as newdata, with spatial weights
for both training and test locations.

Hope this helps,

Roger