[R-sig-Geo] How to find GWR prediction variance as a measure of uncertainty?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Apr 18 09:32:29 CEST 2012

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012, Muhammad Imran wrote:

> Hi list fellows,
>
> Do someone have any idea to calculate the standard deviation of GWR
> predictions (prediction variances), similary as we calculate with the
> sqrt of prediction variance provided by kriging?

As spgwr says when it loads:

"This package does not constitute approval of GWR as a method of spatial
analysis"

The ability of GWR to fit local coefficients sensibly (given doubts about
appropriate bandwidths) is not established. Consequently, making
predictions is encumbered with more than just the uncertainty of fitting
the local weighted regression. So it is not clear how you should proceed -
using GWR is an exploratory technique at best until its properties have
been checked.

Roger