[R-sig-Geo] Image Classification - Wish List?

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Wed Apr 4 16:49:29 CEST 2012

Eric,

I strongly recommend "image segmentation algorithms and tools" even if
it's not necessarily a classification algorithm. Image segmentation and
tools to derive features from the segments are, for the most part,
lacking in open source software. There are some segmentation tools out
there (Spring, OTB/Monteverdi) but they have limitations that make them
less than ideal. Access to more classification algorithms is less of an
issue especially with the wealth of options available in R, a reasonable
selection available in GRASS, and the minimal gain in classification
performance realized when using "new and improved" classification
algorithms.

I don't have much to offer on the programming side but am happy to help
with development ideas and testing/feedback for segmentation or image
classification algorithms.

Ned