[R-sig-Geo] sample size requirement when do kriging interpolation

Nick Hamm nick at hamm.org
Mon Apr 2 23:39:05 CEST 2012

Dear Jessie

You can do kriging on 27 points.  The difficulty comes from estimating
the variogram with only 27 sites.  Some studies have approached this
by using measurements at multiple points in time instead.  I give some
references below. I think Edzer (Pebesma) also used this approach, but
I can't remember the paper right now.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Y. Zhang, N.A.S. Hamm, N. Meratnia, A. Stein, M. van de Voort & P.J.M.
Havinga (2012): Statistics-based outlier detection for wireless sensor
networks, International Journal of Geographical Information Science,
DOI:10.1080/13658816.2012.654493 (in press, available online).

G. Sterk and A. Stein (1997) Mapping wind - blown mass transport by
modeling variability in space and time, Soil science society of
America journal, 61, pp. 232-239.