[R-sig-Geo] Working with GRIB2 files

Matthew Landis landis at isciences.com
Fri Sep 30 19:21:33 CEST 2011

Ezra,

I've been messing around with GRIB2 myself, but as of July,  I hadn't
had any luck finding ways to do it in R.  I ended up using NCL (NCAR
command language) to convert the Grib2's to NetCDF, which various R
packages can handle (notably raster).  I did figure out how to pass
arguments from R to the NCL script (through Bash), which was a major
achievement for me.   This only works on Linux though, as I haven't
worked it out for the Cygwin version of NCL.

I would *love* to hear about ways of dealing with GRIB2 natively in R.
Barring that, I'm happy to share NCL code.

Matt

--
Matthew Landis, Ph.D.