[R-sig-Geo] Ideas on qualifying urban shapes: linear / circular / star

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:22:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Mathieu Rajerison
<mathieu.rajerison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> I have determined major urban areas.
>
> This is just a post to get ideas from R-users on how to qualify urban
> shapes.
>
> The data can either be binary raster (urban/ not urban), either vector.
>
> 1) Some urban areas follow linear infrastructures, thus are linear
> 2) Some other diverge equally from a central heart, and are circular.
> 3) Some are a mix and are like stars.

That sounds like the kind of task that patch metrics such as perimeter/area
ratio and fractal dimension were created for. Take a look at the copious
Fragstats literature. I don't know if any have been implemented in R, but
wouldn't be surprised.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee