[R-sig-Geo] Flow accumulation in R?

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 29 20:50:10 CEST 2011

Thanks for the responses -- one of the issues with the GRASS
implementation of terraflow is that there is not, to my knowledge,
parallel support for the code -- the C++ version, I suppose, we can
try to compile, although it seems to be fairly out of date.  I figured
with the quickly increasing capabilities in spatial programming beyond
just spatial statistics in R (e.g. via raster, rgdal, maptools), as
well as other people developing parallel interfaces for R (e.g.
snowfall, Rmpi), R may do well as a scalable system for doing large
scale image processing/GIS analyses.  Certainly, other programs have
not scaled well (ArcMap and GRASS to name a few).

topidx looked interesting but I can tell that it won't scale -- it
requires the image be in memory as a matrix, so any reasonably large
DEM won't work.

Sounds like this may require some programming!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor